Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Thonian Names
What do you do for Thonian Names? I don't like the lists of names provided for Common Thonians or High Thonians in the source book. What I have done in many cases is take elements from the list, but change the names to make them sound more like old Anglo Saxon names. Of course, I see the Thonian Empire as a conglomerate of many cultures, so many different names may be used there.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Arthurian stuff + Tolkien-ish stuff + established D&D linguistics
As I (perhaps not erroneously) thought there might be a relationship between the words Afridhi and Peshwa and those of the Northwest Frontier (of Afghanistan), tribal Afghani names may not be inappropriate. Most tribal/clan names have the suffix "Khel", so that would be an option. This has proven most helpful in my 19th c. NWF wargaming campaign (using The Sword and the Flame).

As for the names of figures in Blackmoor and environs, I would venture to employ Old English names or older German names.

As for the Skandaharians...that should be easy. Smile
DungeonDevil Wrote:As I (perhaps not erroneously) thought there might be a relationship between the words Afridhi and Peshwa and those of the Northwest Frontier (of Afghanistan), tribal Afghani names may not be inappropriate. Most tribal/clan names have the suffix "Khel", so that would be an option. This has proven most helpful in my 19th c. NWF wargaming campaign (using The Sword and the Flame).

Great! I should check DA4 and see if Afridhi names are actually Afghan based. They might very well be. In any case this should be useful.

Quote:As for the names of figures in Blackmoor and environs, I would venture to employ Old English names or older German names.

Yeah, that should work. I try to find the more archaic sounding ones. And obviously they need to be cool too.

Quote:As for the Skandaharians...that should be easy. Smile

Pretty much, but again I try to avoid the more clicheic ones, and perhaps change them a little so that they could pass for Viking names, but really aren't. Then again I have a picky audience when it comes to norse sounding names... Wink

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:
Quote:As for the Skandaharians...that should be easy. Smile

Pretty much, but again I try to avoid the more clicheic ones, and perhaps change them a little so that they could pass for Viking names, but really aren't. Then again I have a picky audience when it comes to norse sounding names... Wink

-Havard

If I had to look for 'Skandaharian' names I would probably pillage something like Heimskringla or other saga materials, but for real Skandaharians Wink these would probably be all too well known.