Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor in a Nutshell
Philosopher over at the Piazza, challenged me to write a text defining Blackmoor in one or two paragraphs. Maybe you can help me? Here's what Ive got so far:

Blackmoor is a small Kingdom which until recently was the northernmost province of a decadent Empire. Unlike the Thonian Empire, Blackmoor embodies the ideals of justice and chivalry; a realm of light surrounded by corruption and evil. Blackmoor is in desperate need of heroes because it is surrounded by enemies. The Mordor-like realm of the Egg of Coot to the North. Viking-like Skandaharian raiders attack both its coastal lands. And an exotic demon-worshipping conqueror race army approaces from the west.

Blackmoor is a classic fantasy setting with a twist: highly technological items can be found and used by heroes and villains alike. Mechanical warriors guard powerful wizards. The sages of the Blackmoor University are working with the dwarves to figure out how these items work, where they came from and how to use them. This could be the key to saving Blackmoor from its immediate destruction. Tragically however, it could also be what spells their doom, in the prophesied apocalypse, known as Great Rain of Fire.

More here:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=509

I'd also be interested in seeing how others see Blackmoor. Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I like it! Big Grin
The thing that surprised me about Blackmoor is the inclusion of SciFi elements--things which many D&D players would find too potentially game-imbalancing (along with the references in FFC to gunpowder weaponry). It makes Barrier Peaks look like an attempt at recreating that primal confluence of genres.
Different DM's have different approaches to the Sci Fi stuff. It is easily ignored for those who are less comfortable with it. OTOH, it was clearly present from the FFC through the DA series and in the ZG stuff. It is also the main thing that sets Blackmoor apart from other settings if you should want something different from say your Forgotten Realms campaign.

In terms of power, I don't necessarily see why getting your body penetrated by a bullet should be more damaging than getting your body penetrated by a broad sword. I do like things like laser swords and Robots however... :twisted:

-Havard
When it comes to a lead slug, it's not the penetration, but the exit wound. A sword, even when wielded by a mighty-thewed Conan-type, doesn't have anywhere near the same kinetic energy. Plus early gunpowder arms were less about effectiveness in hitting ability, but noise+smoke=severe shock to the morale:

"Aaaah! They have terrible dragons which roar like thunder and belch giant clouds of smoke!! Run!!!" Confusedhock: Wink

So, IMO, there is an unavoidable difference between Ye Olde Brodswerd and the slugthrowers.
DungeonDevil Wrote:When it comes to a lead slug, it's not the penetration, but the exit wound. A sword, even when wielded by a mighty-thewed Conan-type, doesn't have anywhere near the same kinetic energy.

Exit wound yes, but you still have a sword through your chest that's gotta hurt as well. It is worth noting that it took centuries from when gunpowder was introduced to when warfare was changed

Quote:Plus early gunpowder arms were less about effectiveness in hitting ability, but noise+smoke=severe shock to the morale:

"Aaaah! They have terrible dragons which roar like thunder and belch giant clouds of smoke!! Run!!!" Confusedhock: Wink

But would it have the same effect on someone who is already used to facing enemies who could cast fireballs or ride actual dragons?

-Havard
:lol: Okay. You got me! Smile

Another thing that struck me upon perusing the FFC is the frequent mention of tarns (a word unfamiliar to me until lately). :oops: I guess I'll have to look into this "Gor" series of which I've heard some eyebrow-raising things. Confusedhock: If DLA and Friends were inspired by those books, perhaps I should investigate.
DungeonDevil Wrote::lol: Okay. You got me! Smile

Heh, its just a pet peeve of mine. I'm not saying you don't have a point though, just that the effects of gunpowder are often exaggerated by D&D gamers. Certainly it would affect the campaign to some level, but IMO not to the extent that it cannot be used successfully. Smile

Quote:Another thing that struck me upon perusing the FFC is the frequent mention of tarns (a word unfamiliar to me until lately). :oops: I guess I'll have to look into this "Gor" series of which I've heard some eyebrow-raising things. Confusedhock: If DLA and Friends were inspired by those books, perhaps I should investigate.

As Greg once said, they read any sci fi or fantasy novel they could get their hands on back then. Their main influence comes from the first few Gor novels though, which from what I understand were less extreme than those which followed.

The legacy of the Gor novels on Arneson's campaign are the Tarns as you mention. Beyond that, the Duchy of the Peaks has a society centered around drugs, prostitution, slavery and other immoral elements, though the Blackmoor players early on took the stance that this was an evil society, among other things causing Marfeldt the Barbarian's violent outburst of disgust taking heavy tolls on that nation.

There is also a region called the Hills of Gor to the South.

Out of reasons of personal preference, I have not pursued the Gor connections too much myself.

-Havard