Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Dungeon of Borkshold
In the Skandaharian Lands, Thorsen One-Thumb is one of the most influential Jarls. His steading is known as Borkshold.

Rafael posted elsewhere about how silly it is that rulers live on top of monster filled dungeons. But ignoring that and continuing in the tradition of old school dungeons, what would Jarl Thorsen's dungeon be like?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hah! What a poignant and most witty introduction! Goddamn viking, go hug a cactus.

Seriously though, you kind of misquoted me; the FFC dungeon, judging from the book itself, had at least some logical base.

It's the d20 version that got it wrong.

In fact, on a theoretical level, the difference between oldschool dungeons and 3rd to 5th generation D&D is that the "why"
of the dungeon is never part of the party's task to solve, while in younger installments of the game it usually is.

...Is further information on "Borkshold" available to people other than those who live in your hobby room?
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:Seriously though, you kind of misquoted me; the FFC dungeon, judging from the book itself, had at least some logical base.

It's the d20 version that got it wrong.

Yep we are in agreement about this. Sorry about misrepresenting you. It was meant as sort of a tongue in cheek comment, and also made for a good idea for a discussion thread Smile

Quote:...Is further information on "Borkshold" available to people other than those who live in your hobby room?

Sources for Borkshold are the description of Thorsen One-Thumb from DA1 and David Ross' fan Gazetteer. We dont know much about the place, but it is probably fairly Viking-ish, and home to the most powerful Jarl, so it could be fairly significant. We also know that Thorsens lands are haunted by some strange hairy beast (Ross speculates it could be a Wooly Mammoth). Whether that one would tie in here or not would be anyone's guess!

Perhaps the dungeon is a tomb to the Jarls of old?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Perhaps the dungeon is a tomb to the Jarls of old?

-Havard
That sounds reasonable to me. I don't know that every stronghold should have a big dungeon, and I'm not sure if Skandaharians would have much inclination to build proper dungeons either, but a tomb of past Jarls doesn't seem too hard to justify.
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Perhaps the dungeon is a tomb to the Jarls of old?

That sounds reasonable to me. I don't know that every stronghold should have a big dungeon, and I'm not sure if Skandaharians would have much inclination to build proper dungeons either, but a tomb of past Jarls doesn't seem too hard to justify.

And perhaps a good excuse to throw in some nasty undeads? :twisted:

Which other creatures would you place in such a tomb?

-Havard
Trolls definetly, and dwarves maybe.