Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Adventures of Halgred Forestwalker
Rafael Wrote:First off, let's talk about that better in person, next time we skype!

Sure Smile

OTOH, generating some discussion here is good too. Smile

Quote:Yeah, but the Thracian timeline in itself is way longer - I just didn't put it there because I thought it would blow up
the timeline unnecessarily. Just let me say that you can't have a pseudo-Atlantean society there and have them live from air and water. :wink:

Ok, the Thracia bits dont really fit too well with my version of Blackmoor it seems. I general I prefer the lands surrounding Blackmoor to be more wild and dark prior to the Reign of Robert I. OTOH, your timeline says Thracia II ends 100 years before that, so there's not that much conflict in the parts we are talking about right now anyway.

For the record, I include the Wilderlands Timeline as presented in the Necromancer Boxed set and PG, but not related material like Thracia.

Quote:Actually, I try to leave the split between the Elves open. I'd say, since two sister races have developed, it's definitely than just two Elven generations. Aroro Esti in my timeline vanishes around 7000 years before even the beginning of the timeline.

I would date the split around the End of the Dragon Wars, at least, if not earlier.

However, I don't think that should be overdeveloped, as I write in the timeline about the "Age of Auld":

I see your point about two races. I took another look at the Westryn and to be honest I think their stats in the D20 book are somewhat ridiculous. Standard D20 SRD Wild Elves would have worked just as well, although I do like their smelling ability.

That said, I attribute the change in the Westryn to Uhlmar's Curse (Possibly augmented by the actions of the Black Queen) so in that sense, two generations is more than enough.

Quote:
Quote:I'm still searching for ideas on this one. I picture Halgred sort of like how Beorn appears in the Hobbit. Since many of the stories I have presented so far have been tragic, I think Halgred's story should not be. His tale should be about exploring the wilderness, defeating monsters and building the druidic tradition. His adventures take place in the first decades of the Thonian Empire, witnessing the founding of Blackmoor and so on. My current idea is that he would spend most of his time in the North, not going much to Thonia oir

Sounds nice enough. Let's what you cook out... Smile

I think this discussion is moving me in the right direction. Maybe not quite like Beorn, but I see him as more of a physical type than most druids.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Hurghast and Herutu become the first leaders of the Peshwah

YEAR 20
Calelrin conspires with the Thonians and kill Hurghast and Herutu. Calelrin is cast out by Hak and forced to seek shelter among the devils of the Hells. Cult of Calelrin is founded

This is something I could see Halgred getting into! The main problem is that I don't see the Thonians doing something like this while Robert I is king. OTOH, there could be Thonians acting against Robert's wishes. They were in league with fairly nasty deities afterall. I could see Robert I and Halgred helping the Peshwah get rid of these murdering Thonians, possibly even being instrumental in driving Calelrin off to the Hells.

All open for you to develop. Smile On a side note, I hate the Peshwah as treated in the official books.

I tone down the Amerindian flavour which was strong particularly in the artwork for Riders of Hak, replacing it with a more Scythian look, mixed with Horseclans and Dune. This is just a visual thing though, the timeline and rules can be used from the ZGG material. I just had another look at GURPS Horseclans last night, so I am looking into ways to get that more involved.
Smile
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Anyway...

I think I have found the right direction with Halgred's adventures, linking them to the history about the Peshwah and King Robert. I was reading up on GURPS Horseclans yesterday and I think I can mine it for some ideas to weave into this. It might also shed some light on the origins of the Valemen.

-Havard
I've cleaned up this thread a little

Let's summarize:

* Halgred Forestwalker is mentioned in the Blackmoor PG as the first Druid of the North
* By "the North" I assume, the region marked on the Blackmoor map
* I have made Halgred a founder of the modern Valemen culture, a celt-like people living to the west of Blackmoor, currently (1030) occupied by the Afridhi.
* I assume Halgred was raised by elves, and lived in the first decades of the Thonian Empire.
* Since this coincides with the time when King Robert I explored "the North", Halgred and Robert I may easily have adventured together
* When Calelrin sets up the murder of the first Peshwah leaders through Thonian Agents, King Robert and Halgred are instrumental in punishing the assasins, possibly with help from Peshwah.
* Calelrin is driven to exile to hide with the demons. Is this something that happens in the God-world or among mortals? If the latter, is Halgred and Robert I involved?

Thoughts, questions or ideas?

-Havard