Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Empire of Thonia - Havard's Version
Yaztromo Wrote:
Havard Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Beastmen Races (Beastmen, Orcs, Half-Orcs, Goblinoids)
Believed to originate in the far north, these races are only known in the northernmost provinces. Trolls, Ogres and Giants are much more common, as are Undead.

If we accept this part about the Beastmen races, what would we substitute as enemies for lower level campaigns?

My general take for low level campaigns in areas that are more populated or without humanoids is that the enemies will be other humans. It works well.

Yeah, that makes sense. During the DA Module/ZGG period, Thonia is a realm controlled by mainly evil rulers so there could be heroes fighting as rebels agains oppression, perhaps inspired by the success of Uther's Rebellion?

Goblinoids are found in the northern provinces (The Rand, Bleakwood and the Western Marshes). In the southern regions, such as Bolgerie, Lizardkin races could be a much more common foe. Elsewhere, Undead (Zombies, Ghouls, Skeletons) could be the main low level non-human opponents.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Elsewhere, Undead (Zombies, Ghouls, Skeletons) could be the main low level non-human opponents.
-Havard

Actually, I go the exactly opposite route: Undead require liches and necromancers, at least as a principle,
and I don't want to load the setting this way. I think goblins and beastmen are exactly the kind of monsters
that the Southern provinces have to endure; with the occasional remnant from bygone ages.
One of the premises IMC is that the Beastmen races (Orcs, Goblins etc) arrived from the far north of Blackmoor around 500 years ago, just following the destruction of the Temple of Id.

Following that logic, they could be present in the northern provinces of Thonia, but not probably are much less common in the south.

-Havard
Some revisions to the first post made, including the following:

Havard Wrote:

-Havard
Those interested in more clues to what my Thonian Empire map will look like and where those ideas came from originally may want to take a look at this thread. And yes, things eventually got a little too extreme when James Mishler decided to go overboard with my early concept sketches :lol:

The final version will be alot nicer though, I promise! Smile

-Havard
Section on the Grey Woods has been updated:

Havard Wrote:Grey Woods
This forest heavy region is home to many creatures. It is believed to be home to a large population of reclusive elves. Ordana is the most widely worshipped God in this region.
  • The King of the Grey Woods has been subjugated by the Thonian Emperor, though the Empire generally stays out of this Province, as long as tribute is paid.
  • This realm is the source of Fey Presence on the continent. Since the arrival of the Wizard of the Woods, more Fey have left Thonia for the North however.
  • The Grey Woods is closely linked to the Elven Deities

More ideas and input is welcome! Smile

-Havard